Tipitaka Khmer

Please feel welcome to join the transcription project of the Tipitaka translation in khmer, and share one of your favorite Sutta or more. Simply click here or visit the Forum: 

Search ATI on ZzE

Zugang zur Einsicht - Schriften aus der Theravada Tradition

Access to Insight / Zugang zur Einsicht: Dhamma-Suche auf mehr als 4000 Webseiten (deutsch / english) - ohne zu googeln, andere Ressourcen zu nehmen, weltliche Verpflichtungen einzugehen. Sie sind für den Zugang zur Einsicht herzlich eingeladen diese Möglichkeit zu nutzen. (Info)

Random Sutta
Random Article
Random Jataka

Zufälliges Sutta
Zufälliger Artikel
Zufälliges Jataka

Arbeits/Work Forum ZzE

"Dhammatalks.org":
[logo dhammatalks.org]
Random Talk
[pic 30]

Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyana Tipitaka

A message and email solution for Venerable's Sangha, your Parisa or Upasaka's community in Dhamma: May one make use of the given "Sangha-messager": Download app here . More infos see here . មិនទាន់មានកម្មវិធីផ្ញើសារទេ? ទាញយកសារហារីសង្ឃ

22 Feb 2014 - (13) 3. Bhayavaggo [en]

[ < ]                                                                                                                  [ > ]

(13) 3. Bhayavaggo

Fear

1. Attānuvādasuttaṃ

Blame from the self

121. "Bhikkhus, these four are fears. What four? Fear of blame from the self, fear of blame from others, fear of punishment, and fear of evil states.

"Bhikkhus, what is fear of blame from the self? Here, bhikkhus, a certain one reflects thus: 'If I misconduct by body by words and mind, those actions tell tales about my virtues. He frigthtened of blame from the self dispels bodily misconduct and develops bodily right conduct, dispels verbal misconduct and develops verbal right conduct, dispels mental misconduct and develops mental right conduct.' Bhikkhus, this is fear of blame from the self.

"Bhikkhus, what is fear of blame from others? Here, bhikkhus, a certain one reflects thus: 'If I misconduct by body by words and mind, those actions will be insults to my virtues. He frigthtened of blame from others dispels bodily misconduct and develops bodily right conduct, dispels verbal misconduct and develops verbal right conduct, dispels mental misconduct and develops mental right conduct.' Bhikkhus, this is fear of blame from others.

"Bhikkhus, what is fear of punishment? Here, bhikkhus, a certain person sees the king punishing a highwayman or a robber in various ways such as whipping, beating with the, jungle rope, poisoned stick. Cutting hands, cutting feet, cutting hands and feet. Cutting the ears, cutting the nose, cutting ears and nose. Putting in the gruel pot, giving the shell tonsure, putting in Rahu's mouth, garlanding with a flaming garland, burning the hands with a torch, beating until the body is like straw, making to behave like an antelope, hooking the flesh, cutting squares out of flesh, burning in an alkaline solution, driving a spike from ear to ear to turn, making like a straw foot stool, sprinkling boiling oil on the body, giving to the dogs to be eaten, raising on a pole until death and also cutting the neck. Then it occurs to him the king punishes the highwayman or the robber in various ways for his evil actions and if I do evil actions the same will be done to me, such as whipping, beating with the, jungle rope, poisoned stick. Cutting hands, cutting feet, cutting hands and feet. Cutting the ears, cutting the nose, cutting ears and nose. Putting in the gruel pot, giving the shell tonsure, putting in Rahu's mouth, garlanding with a flaming garland, burning the hands with a torch, beating until the body is like straw, making to behave like an antelope, hooking the flesh, cutting squares out of flesh, burning in an alkaline solution, driving a spike from ear to ear to turn, making me like a straw foot stool, sprinkling boiling oil on the body, giving to the dogs to be eaten, raising on a pole until death and also cutting the neck. So he does not rob fearing punishment from the king. To this is called fear of punishment.

"Bhikkhus, what is fear of an evil state? Here, bhikkhus, a certain one reflects thus: 'Evil results for bodily misbehaviour are here after, evil results for verbal misbehaviour are here after, and evil results for mental misbehaviour are here after. If I misbehave by body, by words and mind, I too after death will go to decrease, to hell, to a bad state and thinking thus he dispels bodily misconduct and develops bodily right conduct, dispels verbal misconduct and develops verbal right conduct and dispels mental misconduct and develops mental right conduct.' He conducts himself purely. To this is said the fear of evil states. Bhikkhus, these four are fears."

2. Ūmibhayasuttaṃ

Fear of waves

122. "Bhikkhus, these four are fears to be expected by those ascending to waters. What four? Fear of waves, fear of crocodiles, fear of whirlpools and the fear of alligators. Bhikkhus, these four are fears to be expected by those ascending to waters. Bhikkhus, in the same manner a certain son of a clansman who has gone forth from a household should expect these four fears. What four? Fear of waves, fear of crocodiles, fear of whirlpools and the fear of alligators.

"Bhikkhus, what is the fear of waves? Here, bhikkhus, a certain clansman's son goes forth from the household and becomes homeless out of faith, -thinking am overcome by birth, decay, death, grief, lament, unpleasantness, displeasure and distress. There are only a few who can point out the complete ending of unpleasantness. Then co-asociates in the holy life advise and instruct him: You should approach in this manner, recede in this manner, look on in this manner, look back in this manner, bend in this mannr and stretch in this manner, you should bear bowl and robes thus. It occurs to him: Earlier, when I was a householder, I advised and instructed others, now those who are like my sons and grandsons advise and instruct me. He becomes angry and disinclined and decreases to the lower life. Bhikkhus, fear of waves is a synonym for anger and its accompaniments This is called the fear for waves.

"Bhikkhus, what is the fear of crocodiles? Here, bhikkhus, a certain clansman's son goes forth from the household and becomes homeless out of faith, thinking: 'I am overcome by birth, decay, death, grief, lament, unpleasantness, displeasure and distress. There are only a few who can point out the complete ending of unpleasantness.' Then co-asociates in the holy life advise and instruct him: 'You should eat to live and eat, drink, taste and enjoy thus. It should be at the right time and it should be the suitable.' It occurs to him: 'Earlier, when I was a householder, I ate, drank, tasted and enjoyed what I wanted to eat, drink, taste and enjoy. I ate the suitable and also the unsuitable. I ate at timely hours and untimely hours. At day time when it is not proper to eat householders bring nourishing food and precepts are a covering for the mouth.' Thinking thus he decreases to the lower life. Bhikkhus, fear of crocodiles is a synonym for stomach filling. This is called the fear of crocodiles.

Bhikkhus, what is the fear of whirlpools? Here, bhikkhus, a certain clansman's son goes forth from the household and becomes homeless out of faith, thinking: 'I am overcome by birth, decay, death, grief, lament, unpleasantness, displeasure and distress. There are only a few who can point out the complete ending of unpleasantness.' He gone forth thus, puts on robes and taking bowl and robes enters the village or hamlet for alms his body, words and mind unprotected, without mindfull awareness established in his mental faculties. There he see a householder or the son of a householder enjoying the five strands of sense pleasures being endowed and provided with them. It occurs to him: 'Earlier when I was a householder I was endowed and provided with the five strands of sense pleasures. There is wealth in my clan and it is possible for me to enjoy my wealth and do merit.' Thinking thus he decreases to the lower life. Bhikkhus, fear of whirlpools is a synonym for the five strands of sense pleasures. This is called the fear of whirlpools.

"Bhikkhus, what is the fear of alligators? Here, bhikkhus, a certain clansman's son goes forth from the household and becomes homeless out of faith, thinking: 'I am overcome by birth, decay, death, grief, lament, unpleasantness, displeasure and distress. There are only a few who can point out the complete ending of unpleasantness.' He gone forth thus, puts on robes and taking bowl and robes enters the village or hamlet for alms his body, words and mind unprotected, without mindfull awareness established in his mental faculties. There he see a woman not well dressed and well robed, his mind overwhelmed with greed he decreases to the lower life. Bhikkhus, fear of alligators is a synonym for the woman. This is called the fear of alligators.

Bhikkhus, the son of a clansman who has gone forth from a household should expect these four fears.

3. Paṭhamanānākaraṇasuttaṃ

The first on diversity

123. "Bhikkhus, these four persons are evident in the world. What four?

"Here, bhikkhus, a certain person secluding from sensual desires and demeritorious thoughts, with thoughts and discursive thoughts and with joy and pleasantness born of seclusion attains to the first higher state of mind. Enjoying it, longing for it, he attains prosperity in it. Keenly applying himself to it, making much of it and not decreasing from it, he dies and is born with the gods of the sphere of Brahma. The life span of those gods is a forward world cycle. Finishing his complete life span there, he would either be born in hell, as a beast, or as a ghost. As for the noble disciples of The Blessed One, they would finish the complete life span there and would extinguish in that same birth. Bhikkhus, this is the difference and diversity between the learned noble disciple and the not learned ordinary man in their course of action, birth and conscience.

"Again, bhikkhus, a certain person overcoming thoughts and discursive thoughts and internally appeasing the mind making it one pointed without thoughts and discursive thoughts and with joy and pleasantness born of concentration attains to the second higher state of mind. Enjoying it, longing for it he attains prosperity in it. Keenly applying himself to it, making much of it, not decreasing from it he dies and is born with the gods of Radiance. The life span of those gods is two forward world cycles. Finishing his complete life span there, he would either be born in hell, as a beast, or as a ghost. As for the noble disciples of The Blessed One, they would finish the complete life span there and would extinguish in that same birth. Bhikkhus, this is the difference and diversity between the learned noble disciple and the not learned ordinary man in their course of action, birth and conscience.

"Again, bhikkhus, a certain person with equanimity to joy and detachment abides mindfull and aware experiencing pleasantness with the body tooòo this the noble ones say mindfull abiding in pleasantness with equanimity. He attains to this third higher state of mind. Enjoying it, longing for it he attains prosperity in it. Keenly applying himself to it, making much of it and not decreasing he dies and is born with the lustrous gods. The life span of those gods is four forward world cycles. Finishing his complete life span there, he would either be born in hell, as a beast, or as a ghost. As for the noble disciples of The Blessed One, they would finish the complete life span there and would extinguish in that same birth. Bhikkhus, this is the difference and diversity between the learned noble disciple and the not learned ordinary man in their course of action, birth and conscience.

"Again, bhikkhus, a certain person dispelling pleasantness and unpleasantness, and earlier having dispelled pleasure and displeasure without unpleasantness and pleasantness and purifying mindfulness with equanimity attains to the fourth higher state of mind. Enjoying it, longing for it he attains prosperity in it. Keenly applying himself to it, making much of it and not decreasing he dies and is born with the gods of Space. The life span of those gods is five hundred forward world cycles. Finishing his complete life span there, he would either be born in hell, as a beast, or as a ghost. As for the noble disciples of The Blessed One, they would finish the complete life span there and would extinguish in that same birth. Bhikkhus, this is the difference and diversity between the learned noble disciple and the not learned ordinary man in their course of action, birth and conscience."

4. Dutiyanānākaraṇasuttaṃ

The second on diversity

124. "Bhikkhus, these four persons are evident in the world. What four?

"Here, bhikkhus, a certain person secluding from sensual desires and demeritorious thoughts, with thoughts and discursive thoughts and with joy and pleasantness born of seclusion attains to the first higher state of mind. In that state of mind whatever he sees as matter, feelings, perceptions, determinations and consciousness, he reflects them as impermanent, unpleasant, an ailment, an abscess, an arrow, a misfortune, an illness, as external, destined to decay, void and lacking a self. After death he is born with the gods of pure abodes. These abodes are not shared by the ordinary folk.

"Again, bhikkhus, a certain person overcoming thoughts and discursive thoughts and internally appeasing the mind making it one pointed without thoughts and discursive thoughts and with joy and pleasantness born of concentration attains to the second higher state of mind ... re ... Again, bhikkhus, a certain person overcoming thoughts and discursive thoughts and internally appeasing the mind making it one pointed without thoughts and discursive thoughts and with joy and pleasantness born of concentration attains to the second higher state of mind ... re ...

Again, bhikkhus, a certain person with equanimity to joy and detachment abides mindfull and aware experiencing pleasantness with the body too, to this the noble ones say mindfull abiding in pleasantness with equanimity. He attains to this third higher state of mind ... re ...

Again, bhikkhus, a certain person dispelling pleasantness and unpleasantness, and earlier having dispelled pleasure and displeasure without unpleasantness and pleasantness and purifying mindfulness with equanimity attains to the fourth higher state of mind. In that state of mind whatever he sees as matter, feelings, perceptions, determinations and consciousness, he reflects them as impermanent, unpleasant, an ailment, an abscess, an arrow, a misfortune, an illness, as external, destined to decay, void and lacking a self. After death he is born with the gods of pure abodes. These abodes are not shared by the ordinary folk.

"Bhikkhus, these four persons are evident in the world"

5. Paṭhamamettāsuttaṃ

First on loving kindness

125. Bhikkhus, these four persons are evident in the world. What four?

Here bhikkhus, a certain person pervades one direction with loving kindness, so too the second, third, fourth, above, below and across, in every respect, in all circumstances, entirely, without anger and ill will Enjoying it, longing for it, he attains prosperity in it. Keenly applying himself to it, making much of it and not decreasing from it, he dies and is born with the gods of the sphere of Brahma. The life span of those gods is a forward world cycle. Finishing his complete life span there, he would either be born in hell, as a beast, or as a ghost. As for the noble disciples of The Blessed One, they would finish the complete life span there and would extinguish in that same birth. Bhikkhus, this is the difference and diversity between the learned noble disciple and the not learned ordinary man in their course of action, birth and conscience.

"Again, bhikkhus, a certain person pervades one direction with compassion, ... re ... with intrinsic joy, with equanimity, so too the second, third, fourth, above, below and across, in every respect, in all circumstances, entirely, without anger and ill will Enjoying it, longing for it, he attains prosperity in it. Keenly applying himself to it, making much of it and not decreasing from it, he dies and is born with the Radiant gods. The life span of those gods is two forward world cycles ... re ... the lustrous gods. The life span of those gods is four forward world cycles ... re ... the gods of space. The life span of those gods is five hundred forward world cycles. Finishing his complete life span there, he would either be born in hell, as a beast, or as a ghost. As for the noble disciples of The Blessed One, they would finish the complete life span there and would extinguish in that same birth. Bhikkhus, this is the difference and diversity between the learned noble disciple and the not learned ordinary man in their course of action, birth and conscience."

Bhikkhus, these four persons are evident in the world.

6. Dutiyamettāsuttaṃ

Second on loving kindness

126. "Bhikkhus, these four persons are evident in the world. What four? Here bhikkhus, a certain person pervades one direction with loving kindness, so too the second, third, fourth, above, below and across, in every respect, in all circumstances, entirely, without anger and ill will. In that state of mind whatever he sees as matter, feelings, perceptions, determinations and consciousness, he reflects them as impermanent, unpleasant, an ailment, an abscess, an arrow, a misfortune, an illness, as external, destined to decay, void and lacking a self. After death he is born with the gods of pure abodes. These abodes are not shared by the ordinary folk.

"Again, bhikkhus, a certain person pervades one direction with compassion, ... re ... with intrinsic joy, ... re ... with equanimity, so too the second, third, fourth, above, below and across, in every respect, in all circumstances, entirely, without anger and ill will. In that state of mind whatever he sees as matter, feelings, perceptions, determinations and consciousness, he reflects them as impermanent, unpleasant, an ailment, an abscess, an arrow, a misfortune, an illness, as external, destined to decay, void and lacking a self. After death he is born with the gods of pure abodes. These abodes are not shared by the ordinary folk."

7. Paṭhamatathāgataacchariyasuttaṃ

Wonderful things of the Thus Gone One

127. "Bhikkhus, at the arising of the Thus Gone One, worthy and rightfully enlightened, four wonderful and surprising things arise. What four?

"Bhikkhus, when the future enlightened one leaves the heaven of Happiness to enter the mother's womb a great light appears in this world of gods and men, Màra, Brahma, recluses and Brahmins. That light surpasses the splendour of gods. The pitch darkness in the outer spaces of the worlds, where even the moon and sun so powerful do not penetrate, get lighted up and beings born there, see light, see each other and know, there are other beings born there. At the arising of the Thus Gone One, worthy and rightfully enlightened, this is the first wonderful and surprising thing that arises.

"Again, bhikkhus, when the future enlightened one enters the mother's womb mindfull and aware a great light appears in this world of gods and men, Màra, Brahma, recluses and Brahmins. That light surpasses the splendour of gods. The pitch darkness in the outer spaces of the worlds, where even the moon and sun so powerful do not penetrate, get lighted up and beings born there, see light, see each other and know, there are other beings born there. At the arising of the Thus Gone One, worthy and rightfully enlightened, this is the second wonderful and surprising thing that arises.

"Again, bhikkhus, when the Thus Gone One realizes incomparable rightful enlightenment a great light appears in this world of gods and men, Màra, Brahma, recluses and Brahmins. That light surpasses the splendour of gods. The pitch darkness in the outer spaces of the worlds, where even the moon and sun so powerful do not penetrate, get lighted up and beings born there, see light, see each other and know, there are other beings born there. At the arising of the Thus Gone One, worthy and rightfully enlightened, this is the third wonderful and surprising thing that arises.

"Again, bhikkhus, when the Thus Gone One rolls the wheel of the Teaching a great light appears in this world of gods and men, Màra, Brahma, recluses and Brahmins. That light surpasses the splendour of gods. The pitch darkness in the outer spaces of the worlds, where even the moon and sun so powerful do not penetrate, get lighted up and beings born there, see light, see each other and know, there are other beings born there. At the arising of the Thus Gone One, worthy and rightfully enlightened, this is the fourth wonderful and surprising thing that arises.

Bhikkhus, at the arising of the Thus Gone One, worthy and rightfully enlightened, these four wonderful and surprising things arise.

8. Dutiyatathāgataacchariyasuttaṃ

Wonderful and surprising things of The Thus Gone One

128. "Bhikkhus, at the arising of the Thus Gone One, worthy and rightfully enlightened, four wonderful and surprising things arise. What four?

"Bhikkhus, the populace is fond of roosting, excited about settling, and when the Thus Gone One teaches for non roosting and not settling, they listen and lend ear. This is the first wonderful and surprising thing with the arising of the Thus Gone One.

"Bhikkhus, the populace is fond of measuring, excited about measuring, and when the Thus Gone One teaches to dispel measuring, they listen and lend ear. This is the second wonderful and surprising thing with the arising of the Thus Gone One.

"Bhikkhus, the populace is fond of not stopping, excited about continuing, and when the Thus Gone One teaches for quieting and allaying, they listen and lend ear. This is the third wonderful and surprising thing with the arising of the Thus Gone One.

"Bhikkhus, the populace is blind, enveloped in darkness and when the Thus Gone One teaches to dispel ignorance, they listen and lend ear. This is the fourth wonderful and surprising thing with the arising of the Thus Gone One.

Bhikkhus, at the arising of the Thus Gone One, worthy and rightfully enlightened, these four wonderful and surprising things arise.

9. Ānandaacchariyasuttaṃ

Wonderful things about venerable Ānanda

129. "Bhikkhus, these four are wonderful and surprising things about Ānanda. What four?

"Bhikkhus, if a gathering of bhikkhus approach to see Ānanda, with his sight they become pleasant. If he talks, they become pleased hearing his words, when Ānanda is silent they are not satisfied.

"Bhikkhus, if a gathering of bhikkhunis approach to see Ānanda, with his sight they become pleasant. If he talks, they become pleased hearing his words, when Ānanda is silent they are not satisfied.

"Bhikkhus, if a gathering of lay male disciples approach to see Ānanda, with his sight they become pleasant. If he talks, they become pleased hearing his words, when Ānanda is silent they are not satisfied.

"Bhikkhus, if a gathering of lay female disciples approach to see Ānanda, with his sight they become pleasant. If he talks, they become pleased hearing his words, when Ānanda is silent they are not satisfied.

Bhikkhus, these four are wonderful and surprising things about Ānanda."

10. Cakkavattiacchariyasuttaṃ

Wonderful things about the universal monarch

130. "Bhikkhus, these four are wonderful and surprising things about the universal monarch. What four?

"Bhikkhus, if a gathering of warriors approach to see the universal monarch, with his sight they become pleasant. If he talks, they become pleased hearing his words, when the universal monarch is silent they are not satisfied.

"Bhikkhus, if a gathering of Brahmins approach to see the universal monarch, with his sight they become pleasant. If he talks, they become pleased hearing his words, when the universal monarch is silent they are not satisfied.

"Bhikkhus, if a gathering of housholders approach to see the universal monarch, with his sight they become pleasant. If he talks, they become pleased hearing his words, when the universal monarch is silent they are not satisfied.

"Bhikkhus, if a gathering of recluses approach to see the universal monarch, with his sight they become pleasant. If he talks, they become pleased hearing his words, when the universal monarch is silent they are not satisfied.

"Bhikkhus, these four are wonderful and surprising things about the universal monarch.

"Bhikkhus, in the same way these four are wonderful and surprising things about Ānanda. What four?

"Bhikkhus, if a gathering of bhikkhus approach to see Ānanda, with his sight they become pleasant. If he talks, they become pleased hearing his words, when Ānanda is silent they are not satisfied.

"Bhikkhus, if a gathering of bhikkhunis approach to see Ānanda, with his sight they become pleasant. If he talks, they become pleased hearing his words, when Ānanda is silent they are not satisfied.

"Bhikkhus, if a gathering of lay male disciples approach to see Ānanda, with his sight they become pleasant. If he talks, they become pleased hearing his words, when Ānanda is silent they are not satisfied.

"Bhikkhus, if a gathering of lay female disciples approach to see Ānanda, with his sight they become pleasant. If he talks, they become pleased hearing his words, when Ānanda is silent they are not satisfied.

"Bhikkhus, these four are wonderful and surprising things about Ānanda."

Bhayavaggo tatiyo.

Tassuddānaṃ –

Attānuvādaūmi ca, dve ca nānā dve ca honti;

Mettā dve ca acchariyā, aparā ca tathā duveti.

-- This translation is Dhamma-Dana (gift of teaching) from Ven. Sister Uppalavanna, edited and integrated into the structure based on the Pali Tipitika of Vipassana Research Insititute, Igatpuri India --

logo_sangham_30Donator/Contributor: Ven. Sister Uppalavanna, Provinz Galla in Sri Lanka (via Ven. Bhikkhu Mettavihari)
Source of origin: http://www.metta.lk/
How to cite this document one suggested style: "(13) 3. Bhayavaggo", edited by sangham.net, 16 Feb 2014,
https://forum.sangham.net/index.php?page=s0402m3.mul12_en_uppa , Retrieved on

Articles in « Catukkanipātapāḷi__en »

Comments *